You are here > Support > SSL Certificates > Microsoft > All Windows servers > Export private key or certificate
SSL Certificate / Export your private key
Follow the steps below to export your Certificate and Private Key.
- Start the Microsoft Management Console > Run mmc.exe
- Click the 'Console' menu and then click 'Add/Remove Snap-in'.
- Click the 'Add' button and then choose the 'certificates' snap-in and click on 'Add'.
- Select 'Certificates' and click 'Add'.
- Select 'Computer Account' then click 'Next'.
- Select 'Local Computer' and then click 'OK'.
- Click 'Close' and then click 'OK'.
- Expand the menu for 'Certificates' and click on the 'Personal' folder.
- Right click on the certificate that you want to export and select 'All tasks' > 'Export'.
- A wizard will appear. Make sure you check the box to include the private key and continue through with this wizard until you have a .PFX file.
Next run OpenSSL to extract the private key, and the cert file
Export the private key file from the pfx file
openssl pkcs12 -in filename.pfx -nocerts -out key.pem
Export the certificate file from the pfx file
openssl pkcs12 -in filename.pfx -clcerts -nokeys -out cert.pem
Remove the passphrase from the private key
openssl rsa -in key.pem -out server.key
(c) Networking4all B.V. All rights reserved
This site is managed by GlobalSign preferred partner Networking4all.